The Clean Grid Initiative is a philanthropic collaboration focused on modernizing the electric transmission system to accelerate the transition to carbon-free power. Almost any path to carbon neutrality will require achieving close to 100% clean electricity and electrifying many other end-use sectors, and doing so will require a massive build-out of the transmission system, by some estimates as much as tripling current high voltage transmission capacity. There is a once-in-a-generation moment of opportunity right now to advance transmission policy and development in the US. This Initiative will establish and oversee a multi-year national transmission campaign that integrates state, regional, and federal advocacy to reshape the narrative around the transmission, build transmission advocacy capacity, and leverage moments of opportunity to advance transformative transmission policies.
The Clean Grid Initiative is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated leader to take the reins of this new effort and serve as the first full-time Managing Director. The Managing Director will be supported by a Donor Advisory Board and will lead the development of a comprehensive philanthropic strategy to advance clean energy transmission as the critical path to achieving 100% clean electricity in the US. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop a comprehensive strategy, including designing and overseeing a multi-layered, multi-stakeholder campaign to win public support and advance policies to enable clean energy transmission development.
- Develop processes for solicitation, approval, and oversight of grants and contracts.
- Maintain deep connections within the field of transmission advocates, experts, policymakers, and funders to keep a pulse on emerging trends, risks, and opportunities.
The Managing Director will be a creative and innovative leader who brings vast campaign and advocacy leadership experience and who is unafraid of what lies ahead. Coalition building, strategic thought, and the ability to quickly implement a plan (and the strategy behind it) will be central dimensions of the job function. The capacity to work with the Donor Advisory Board in the most exceptional capacity and then activate a national network by providing game-changing resources to entities and people on the ground will also serve as paramount responsibilities. Preference will be given to candidates with experience and interest in both working with a diverse array of stakeholders and interest in both technical aspects of transmission policy and issue campaign expertise. Key qualifications include:
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas: electricity policy, philanthropic strategy, campaign design and management, coalition building, and/or communications.
- Ability to build and mobilize a diverse coalition in support of aligned objectives.
- Knowledge of key issues regarding the electric grid, transmission, energy markets, and policy.
- Experience working on campaigns to persuade policymakers on both sides of the political aisle and a demonstrated ability to work with stakeholders with conflicting positions to build consensus.
- Experience working with one or more of the following: state Governors or legislatures, state public service commissions, regional transmission organizations (RTOs), the Department of Energy, utilities, renewable energy developers, non-profit organizations, labor groups, or trade associations.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for Clean Grid Initiative. Please note that this is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, who also serves as the fiscal sponsor.