On an average day, the men and women of the Coast Guard conduct 45 search and rescue missions, perform 14 conservation inspections, and facilitate the movement of $8.7 billion worth of goods and commodities across 100,000 miles of coastline and inland waterways in the United States. The education, welfare, and morale of these men and women is supported by the Coast Guard Foundation.
The Coast Guard Foundation was founded in 1969 to support the Coast Guard Academy, but since 1986 has taken on a broader mission—supplying equipment to Coast Guard units, scholarships to Coast Guard members and their families, and bereavement support for families who have lost loved ones in the Coast Guard. The Foundation has also achieved dramatic revenue growth to support its work, with new regional philanthropy programs established over the last two years in California, the mid-Atlantic. and the Northeast.
Today the Coast Guard Foundation seeks two Development Officers to continue this growth. The Regional Director of Philanthropy will have access to tremendous resources to build a regional donor base and revenue to support the Foundation’s mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Director of Philanthropic Initiatives, and in consultation with the Senior Vice President of Development, develop, implement and manage the Coast Guard Foundation’s mid-level donor program (individuals in the $500–$5,000 giving range), including establishing short-term and long-term strategies.
- Cultivate donor relationships by updating, appreciating, and asking mid-level donors to deepen their financial partnership.
- Solicits and closes gifts from mid-level donors.
- Researches, identifies, and promotes hand-off of high capacity donors to the appropriate MGO.
- Manages a caseload capacity of 400 – 600 donors.
- Meets with the Director of philanthropic Initiatives on a weekly basis for accountability and to discuss strategy and moves. Assist with other duties assigned by the Director of Philanthropic Initiatives.
- Minimum of five years of experience in non-profit, foundation or association fundraising, with a proven track record of achieving ambitious revenue targets.
- A passion to be part of a vigorous consumer-advocacy organization.
- Knowledge of techniques and best practices in annual giving including benefit fulfillment, and stewardship communications (including email solicitations and social media strategies for online fundraising).
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on a team and to build and maintain positive relationships with all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in fast-paced, results-driven environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, good judgment, and ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Working knowledge of planned giving a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel when needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and donor management programs.
- Bachelor’s degree.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for the Coast Guard Foundation. For more information and to apply, please visit: https://waterstonehc.com/driwaterstonehc/position/coast-guard-fdn-development-officer