In September 2018, the U.S.-based 501(c)3 charitable organization Friends of EDTF, Inc. was established in response to Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s appeal to the global Ethiopian diaspora asking each person to donate $1 a day to support the people of Ethiopia. The Friends of EDTF’s objective is to mobilize contributions from the Ethiopian diaspora, other individuals, companies, foundations, and governmental and non-governmental organizations to support social and economic development projects in various regions of Ethiopia.
By 2020, through a wide-reaching public campaign, fundraising events, and the hard work of volunteers, more than 26,000 individuals from 93 countries had given more than $7M in donations to Friends of EDTF. Since then, the Ethiopia Diaspora Trust Fund has awarded more than $1.7M in relief funds and more than $4.6M in social and economic development projects.
Following the stunning success of the initial outreach to the Ethiopian diaspora, the Friends of EDTF Board of Directors is strategically building toward sustainable long-term operations. Reporting to the Board Chairperson, the Executive Director will develop, lead, and implement fundraising strategies that allow Friends of EDTF to continue supporting effective development projects/programs in Ethiopia. As the chief executive of Friends of EDTF, the ED will represent the organization, uphold its values and reputation, and oversee all administrative functions, building a small team to ensure sustainability.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of Friends of EDTF, including fundraising, grantmaking, budgeting, compliance, donor and public relations, and other responsibilities delegated by the Board of Directors.
- Devise new fundraising strategies to build upon the success of the initial EDTF campaign.
- Advise the Board on best practices in international grantmaking and ensure grant selection and implementation achieve the organizational goals set by the Board.
- Ensure accountability and transparency through timely reporting of project information (pipelines, approvals, funding transfers, progress, evaluation reports, etc.).
- Analyze financial, operational, and reputational risks and recommend mitigation strategies or policy/procedure changes to the Board.
- Assist the various committees in formulating and implementing their respective strategies, objectives, and implementations.
- Manage, evaluate, and delegate authority to the Ethiopia-based project manager (and other staff as hired).
- Substantial experience with private (individuals, corporations, foundations) funders is essential; knowledge of public sector funding preferred.
- At least 5 years of management experience; experience working with and supporting Board members preferred.
- Cross-cultural knowledge and work experience with developing countries (especially Ethiopia) and/or the Ethiopian diaspora.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English; working proficiency in Amharic or other Ethiopian languages highly valued.
- Compassion to serve the underserved with humility and respect.
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Public Health, Business Development, or other relevant fields.
- Experience with international program/project design, funding mechanisms, proposal evaluation, and reporting requirements.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and experience working under the pressure of deadlines.
- Proven ability to establish positive relationships within international, national, regional, and local structures and to engage with various stakeholders.
- Experience with strategic planning, budget management, and organizational change management.
We encourage applicants who have a diverse level and range of relevant skills and experiences to apply. A 100% match of the experience and skills above is not required.
The preferred location for this position is the Washington, D.C., metro area. The Board will consider candidates residing in other major U.S. cities where the Ethiopian diaspora resides.
Expected hiring range: $100,000 – $120,000. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s special skills, years of experience, and unique background. We welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates whose salary requirement exceeds the expected hiring range.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for Friends of EDTF, Inc. For more information and to apply, please visit driwaterstonehc.com.