Nebraska Public Media provides local content, national programming from PBS and NPR, and digital content for our state. Our 10-person-and-growing News Team is an integral part of our programming, providing high-quality, in-depth journalism for radio and digital daily, periodic television series focused on exploring important statewide issues, and long-form news-based documentaries. We are part of the four-state NPR Midwest Journalism Hub, which increases our capacity for local, in-depth investigative news reporting on our multimedia platforms, and the long-standing Harvest Public Media regional journalism center covering agriculture, food, energy, environment, and rural issues.
We are seeking a News Director to lead Nebraska Public Media’s multi-platform news and current affairs coverage, creating and distributing content that meets the highest ethical standards for editorial integrity, quality, and relevance and is valued and used by audiences locally, regionally, and nationally. The News Director sets and sustains the editorial vision and journalism standards for news coverage across radio, television, and digital platforms. They maintain best practices and newsroom SOPs, develop long-range strategies for the news division, and develop project proposals and budgets. The News Director may report/produce audio, video, and digital stories and serve as host, writer, reporter, and producer.
Strong candidates will be versatile, accomplished, and driven news professionals with experience creating news content in more than one discipline – radio, television, digital, or newspaper. They will have served as a professional journalist during their career and have experience creating, implementing, and leading by example best journalism practices. Previous experience supervising and leading professional staff is essential. NPR and PBS experience and knowledge of Nebraska are appreciated by not essential.
Specific and preferred experience and skills include:
- At least five years of supervisory and leadership experience, including supervising a professional team of journalists
- Exceptional overall communication and presentation skills, including the ability to edit and coach the work of others.
- Interest in and commitment to media convergence involving multi-platform services; experience writing for digital platforms is preferred.
- Experience making decisions regarding on-air content for television, radio, or published content on digital platforms.
- Experience developing and leading collaborative projects, building and maintaining internal and external relationships, and working together to resolve problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a closely related field required. Master’s degree preferred. Exceptional experience in lieu of academic degrees will be considered.
Nebraska Public Media is committed to equity in its pay practices. The salary minimum for this position is $85,000. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s specialty skills, years of experience, and unique background. We welcome the opportunity to discuss salary requirements with potential candidates. Nebraska Public Media is part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, which has exceptional benefits, including family tuition benefits.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for Nebraska Public Media. To learn more and apply, please visit: https://waterstonehc.com/driwaterstonehc/position/npm-news-director.