Ocean Conservancy works to protect the ocean from today’s greatest global challenges. Together with our partners, we create science-based solutions for a healthy ocean and the wildlife and communities that depend on it.
The Director of Ocean Justice & Equity is an important leader in the organization-wide integration of justice & equity. The Director will coordinate with internal departments and teams as Ocean Conservancy cultivates authentic, meaningful relationships with communities impacted by ocean and climate injustice, key government leaders, and external stakeholders. The Director will also play a role in helping our Chief People and Culture Officer and our Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Task Force to build a more just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
Internal Partnerships, Relationship-Building & Implementation Guidance (40%)
- Review and assess our current programs and outreach strategies through a justice and equity lens; offer recommendations rooted in experience, research, partner development and coalition building, and an in-depth understanding of environmental justice and social justice.
- Work with staff across programs and departments to incorporate justice and equity into our climate, plastics, and fisheries work.
External Partnerships, Relationship-Building & Implementation Guidance (20%)
- Identify and develop new partnerships with external stakeholders focused on environmental and social justice in the ocean/climate nexus.
- Shepherd the Ocean Justice Advocacy Group toward a planned 2024 launch that affirms their independence from OC’s sponsorship.
Strategic Planning (20%)
Administrative, Supervisory & Organizational Responsibilities (10%)
Individual Professional Growth & Development (10%)
Reporting to the Vice President of Conservation, Justice & Equity, the Director of Ocean Justice & Equity will bring exceptional cultural competency and humility to this vital role. Strong candidates will be collaborative teammates who work effectively across culturally, ethnically, and racially diverse teams. They will have direct experience in environmental justice, marine/blue/ocean justice, social justice, grassroots organizing, and/or equity domains. Specific requirements and preferences include:
- Experience forming and nurturing partnerships with cultural or ethnic minority, Indigenous, linguistically isolated, and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged communities.
- Experience collaborating with and/or leading diverse groups on matters of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the environmental or ocean domains. An active network of other experts in justice and equity is highly valued.
- Bachelor’s Degree + 10 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and years of experience with justice & equity in environmental and ocean issues; ability to quickly become proficient in new issue areas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Standard English; proficiency in additional dialects (e.g., African American Vernacular English; Gullah English) or languages (e.g., Spanish, French, Mandarin/Cantonese, any Indigenous language) highly valued and appreciated.
We encourage applicants who have a diverse level and range of relevant skills and experiences to apply. A 100% match is not required. We want to support employees’ career growth, and in return, our employees help Ocean Conservancy grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.
Ocean Conservancy is committed to equity in its pay practices and posts expected hiring ranges for each of its positions. Salary minimum is $115,566; salary midpoint is $144,509. Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s specialty skills, years of experience, location, and unique background. We would welcome the opportunity to connect with potential candidates whose salary requirements may be outside of the expected hiring range.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for Ocean Conservancy. For more information and to apply, please visit: https://waterstonehc.com/driwaterstonehc/position/oc-director-of-ocean-justice-equity