The formation of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in 1848 marked the emergence of a national scientific community in the United States. While science was part of the American scene from the nation’s early days, its practitioners remained few in number and scattered geographically and among disciplines. AAAS was the first permanent organization formed to promote the development of science and engineering at the national level and to represent the interests of all its disciplines.
Today, AAAS is the world’s largest multi-disciplinary scientific society, with nearly 120,000 individual members in over 91 countries, and a leading publisher of cutting-edge research through our Science family of journals. We strive to promote and defend the integrity of science and its use, provide a voice for science on societal issues and strengthen and diversify the science and technology workforce.
The AAAS is seeking an experienced Senior Major Gifts Officer to join its growing philanthropy team. There is an urgency for AAAS to take their efforts to the next level, and against this backdrop, the board and executive leadership have made philanthropy and strategic partnerships a growing priority. In this role, you will join our dedicated Office of Philanthropy and Strategic Partnerships team, reporting to the Director of Individual Philanthropy, and will play a key role in building relationships with AAAS members, Fellows, and other leaders in the science and philanthropy communities to secure unrestricted and programmatic funding. Specific qualifications include:
- 8-10 years of non-profit fundraising experience, with the demonstrated ability to grow a program.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience soliciting and securing five- and six-figure gifts from individual donors and cultivating/stewarding individual relationships.
- Experience carrying a prospect portfolio and ability to strategize to meet financial goals.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines without extensive back-office support.
- Ability to travel 50% of the time (given autonomy to determine your own travel schedule).
- Familiarity with fundraising best practices, standards, and ethics.
- Must understand and support the mission of AAAS.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for the American Association for the Advancement of Science. All of DRiWaterstone’s searches can be viewed at https://waterstonehc.com/driwaterstonehc/available-positions/.