The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is a national organization founded 50 years ago by faculty and students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who sought to use the power of science to address global problems and improve people’s lives. They are seeking a Chief Development Officer who will work in collaboration with the President and has responsibility for the effective operation of the National Advisory Board. The CDO incorporates all fundraising, development communications, and grants efforts into a comprehensive advancement program. The CDO is a front-line fundraiser and has extensive personal contact with prospects, donors, the National Advisory Board as well as with the board of directors. The CDO also is an active participant on senior management teams charged with overseeing strategic planning and organization-wide operations.
- At least 10 years of comparable and relevant experience with a broad development experience, with substantial experience in major gift fundraising.
- Experience managing a large team.
- Experience working through a Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion lens as it relates to fundraising and leadership/team building.
- Capacity and desire to manage a small, highly critical principle donor portfolio.
- Ability to interact and communicate successfully with a wide variety of audiences.
Skills and Accomplishments
- A results-oriented change agent with a bias for action with exceptional organizational skills.
- An exceptional track record of comprehensive, multi-dimensional fundraising for a nonprofit or NGO.
- Ability to close, but also to understand the nuanced elements of raising money while demonstrating comfort around wealth.
- A transformational leader who embodies a competitive spirit.
- Record of partnering with senior leaders and board members to meet revenue targets and deepen stakeholder engagement in an organization.
- Ability to understand and effectively articulate basic elements of UCS’s core mission and programs.
- Intellectually curious and detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Remote position; However, the successful candidate will need to be based out of one of the four primary work areas of the UCS. (Cambridge, MA – Washington, DC – Oakland, CA – Chicago, IL)
- Business travel as needed.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Range: $196,201-$220,730.
DRiWaterstone is managing the search on behalf of Union of Concerned Scientists.