YR Media, formerly Youth Radio, is an award-winning leading media, technology, and music training center and platform for emerging BIPOC content creators who are using their voices to change the world. YR Media is recruiting a Chief Operating Officer to oversee its day-to-day business and work with the CEO and leadership team to expand programs and operations into new markets.
Headquartered in downtown Oakland, California, with a national footprint and a hub in the Midwest, the non-profit has spent nearly 30 years helping future generations (ages 14 to 24) build crucial skills in journalism and multimedia content. YR Media (formerly known as Youth Radio) produces journalism, music, graphic design, podcasts, and documentaries that disrupt and shape the mainstream narrative.
As a key member of the executive team, the COO will work closely with the CEO and executive team on a range of key strategic, business, and operational issues; collaborates with the CEO and executive team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and staff designed to meet the current and emerging objectives of the organization to ensure that YR Media has the appropriate strategies and processes in place to make it an effective, efficient, sustainable organization – and continues to be a great place to work.
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree is a plus.
Experience and Expertise
- At least 10 years of progressive management experience; at least five years of executive-level experience overseeing finances (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources and a budget of at least $10 million
- Experience in acquisitions for expansions to establish funded, sustainable hubs including an upcoming physical location in the Midwest.
- Experience in media and/or music-related organizations is a plus
- Significant strategic leadership, management, and decision-making experience with direct accountability for results at the executive level in an organization of comparable scale
- Thorough understanding of business operations, business analysis, systems, IT platforms, emerging technologies, human resources, and financial management
- Experience successfully leading organizations through DEI training and desire to work with/among youth (two-way mentorship) providing the necessary guidance to leadership and staff
Location Requirements: The employee’s principal place of work shall be located in Oakland, CA, or Chicago, IL
DRiWaterstone is leading this search for YR Media. For more information and to apply, please visit: https://waterstonehc.com/driwaterstonehc/available-positions/YR-Media-chief-operating-officer